Locksmith Tips and Advice
Secure your premises – great locksmith tips and advice
There are many cost effective ways to secure your home. Keys4U Locksmiths have put together the following list of simple tips for home security to help beat the burglar.
- Never open the door to unknown visitors. Fit a door viewer (peep / spy hole) or a door chain and take a look at who is at your door before opening it.
- Don’t leave keys on the inside of door locks or window ledges near the door as burglars can break a window and reach inside and unlock the door.
- Remove keys from view and keep them in a safe place.
- Don’t leave your name and address on any key tags. If you lose your keys away from the home they could fall into the wrong hands.
- Have window locks fitted. Keep your windows locked, especially those on the ground floor or easily accessible due to flat roofs, for example.
- The home office recommends fitting 5 lever deadlocks to all external doors. You should have or upgrade locks to British Standard BS 3621:2004.
- Sheds and outbuildings are very vulnerable to theft and as a result you should have a substantial lock and padlock or padbolt in place. All valuables should be kept locked up inside sheds and outbuildings and remember never to leave expensive garden equipment outside. Use a chain and padlock to secure ladders and other equipment that may be used to break in to your property.
- Gravel or pebbles on driveways warn you when someone is approaching your house. Burglars know this and it therefore acts as a deterrent.
- Fit blinds to windows. Venetian blinds or vertical blinds can act as a significant deterrent as they are noisy obstacle for burglars attempting to gain entry.
- Preferably install an alarm system or at least fit an external dummy alarm box in a prominent position on the outside of the house.
- Join your local Neighbourhood Watch scheme and display the Neighbourhood Watch and CCTV in operation stickers.
- Cut back hedges and trees near to your house to make it difficult for burglars to conceal themselves.
- Property marking can act as a good deterrent as the markings make it difficult for a burglar to sell on your goods.
- Time light switches with motion detection act as a good deterrent to burglars, as there is no where for a burglar to hide.
When Away From Home
If you want your house to appear occupied:
- Use a timer switch to have a radio come on and off to give the impression there is someone home.
- Use timer switchers to switch lights on and off and suitable times of the day and night.
- Do not leave curtains drawn during the day.
- Cancel your milk and papers. And finally, ask a neighbour to keep a watch on your property, while you are away
How to choose a locksmith
- Choosing the right locksmith is important as you dont want to give just anyone access to the locks for your home, your vehicle, or your place of business.
- Check credentials, Locksmith has to be certified and qualified. You can also check if they belong to a union or locksmith association.
- check the company to make sure there are no bad reviews or complaints since you must trust your locksmith.
- Find out if they have a shop and how many employees are working in the company.
- Ask to see testimonials and refrences.
Keys 4 U Locksmith are a team of fully qualified locksmiths in the Greater London area. Our full range of locksmith services include but are not limited to fitting and replacing locks, car and house lock-outs, originating and duplicating car keys. We are committed to achieving the highest standards in our industry. Our fitters are all trained to the highest standard, our surveyors have a wealth of experience and are able to advise customers of the most cost effective way of installing a doors and locks of all types.