Home Security Tips – Part 2
Hello everyone, this is your friendly neighbourhood locksmith here!
Last week we gave you a few pointers that will help you keep your house safe when you’re inside. But how about when you leave? Burglars are adept at reading signs of a vacant house and the better you cloak your absence, the more protected your house is!
When Away From Home
If you want your house to appear occupied:
- Use a timer switch to have a radio turn on and off to give the impression there is someone at home.
- Use timer switchers to switch lights on and off at suitable times of the day and night.
- Do not leave curtains drawn during the day.
- Cancel your milk and papers.
- And finally, ask a neighbour to keep a watch on your property, while you are away
- Gravel or pebbles on driveways warn you when someone is approaching your house. Burglars know this, this acts as a deterrent.
- Fit blinds to windows. Venetian blinds or vertical blinds can act as a significant deterrent as they are noisy obstacle for burglars attempting to gain entry.
- Preferably install an alarm system or at least fit an external dummy alarm box in a prominent position on the outside of the house.
- Join your local Neighbourhood Watch scheme and display the Neighbourhood Watch and CCTV in operation stickers.
- Cut back hedges and trees near to your house to make it difficult for burglars to conceal themselves.
- Property marking can act as a good deterrent as the markings make it difficult for a burglar to sell your goods.
- Time light switches with motion detection act as a good deterrent to burglars, as there is nowhere for a burglar to hide.
We hope you found this helpful, and that you now have a better idea on how to protect your house. Feel free to ask us any questions you have on our live chat, Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/keys4ulocksmith) or Twitter account @keys4ulocksmith. Have a pleasant and safe weekend!