Emergency Locksmith Services: Your Handy Guide
It’s one of the most frustrating things that can happen to anyone – getting locked out. Perhaps your key broke off into the lock, you misplaced your keys, your electronic locks are malfunctioning, or you’re in need of lock replacement – what do you do? Local locksmiths are the go-to option for many folks, but they’re not all cut from the same cloth. It’s important to choose your locksmith carefully. Most people agree that the worst-case scenario is coming home in the middle of the night, in the dead of winter only to find that you are locked out. Be sure that you choose an experienced locksmith with 24/7 availability.
That feeling that grips you when you are locked out is terrifying. Perhaps you’re feeling panicked, anxious, and uncertain. At times like this, it’s necessary to take a deep breath and consider your options. If it’s a problem that you can resolve on your own, go for it. Here are some of the simple locksmith issues that laypeople can easily take care of:
- Keys that are stuck in the lock can be removed if you spray a little silicone lubricant in the lock, such as WD-40. If you’ve tried this option and the key remains embedded in the lock it’s time to call a locksmith near you.
- Frozen locks are a frequent problem in the UK. These mechanical complications occur in wintertime, but can also be brought about by heat, humidity, grease and grime. You may wish to try a hairdryer at low heat to try and unfreeze the lock. Don’t turn up the heat too much, since this will damage the inner components. Of course, if you’re locked outside and the door lock is frozen you will have to call an emergency locksmith.
- Keys that break off in the door lock are another common lock complaint, but there are several things you can do to get the key removed. The best item you can use to pry out the offending object is a pair of needle nose pliers. If you don’t have that, try a pair of tweezers, perhaps even an unfolded paperclip. If all options fail, you may want to search your local directory for a 24 hour locksmith.
- Electronic lock failures are often caused by power supply shortages, a.k.a. flat batteries. The first thing you’ll want to do is change out the batteries with a fresh set or recharge them if possible.
- Digital lock – penalty lockout. If you have a digital lock and it’s not working because you’ve punched in the wrong combination too many times, you may be experiencing what is known as a penalty lockout. The best way to resolve this issue is to wait for time to elapse, up to 30 minutes. If you still cannot remember the right combination, your best bet is to call a locksmith to come and assist you.
- Lost key. It can happen to anyone – you remember leaving your house with your keys but now you’ve returned home to find that you have lost your key. If you can retrace your steps to see if you’ve dropped your key along your route home, you may be lucky and find it. You may have forgotten your keys in your apartment, and only realized this after the door shut and locked behind you. However, if you find yourself locked out late at night, it might be best to call an emergency locksmith to help you gain entry to your home.
Some folks believe that the best way in is through an alternative entrance. Perhaps you have a rock nearby, or you’re thinking of using your fist wrapped in a cardigan to break through the glass near your front door. While this option sounds appealing at some level, you may run into all sorts of problems. Besides for lacerations, hospital visits, and your neighbours thinking there’s a home invasion, you may also get attacked by a good Samaritan. There’s also the issue of replacing the broken glass on top of the cost of repairing the lock. For these reasons, it’s probably best not to risk injury by trying to break into your own property.
You can expect guaranteed results when you call a reputable emergency locksmith at any time of day or night. Your security is a top priority, especially in the witching hour when it’s cold, and criminal elements are roaming the streets. Professional locksmiths are experts at repairing and replacing damaged or faulty locks, and if you search properly you can get the services at an affordable price too. A locksmith near you may even be able to field your call and get to your property within 30 minutes. This type of professionalism and efficiency is only available with qualified locksmiths.